First Sustainable Hotel in Portland, OR
As a leader in sustainable hotel accommodations, the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland believes that green living is important to the future of our planet. That is why we have implemented green practices throughout our hotel. Our sustainability efforts extend from meetings and events to nightly hotel stays. Through our preservation and conservation efforts, we invite travelers to participate while enjoying a relaxing and inviting lodging experience for which DoubleTree is renowned.
As a sustainable hotel in Portland, we pledge to:
- Lead by example, sharing our successes and failures with the Portland community and our industry partners
- Hold every decision to the standard of our triple bottom line: benefitting the community, providing the best workplace for our employees, and enhancing our guest experience
- Grow our business responsibly, by tracking the progress of our efforts and by continuously seeking areas for improvement
- And, above all, to maintain transparency in all these efforts
We understand that sustainability is a journey, and we are involved in the ongoing process of improving our hotel operations and conserving resources. You can learn more by viewing our annual Sustainability Report, but here are a few of the environmentally friendly steps we have taken so far:
As part of ongoing efforts to make Portland a healthier place to live, work, and conduct business, DoubleTree by Hilton Portland seeks first to purchase equipment, products and materials that are recyclable, made of recycled content and reduce waste. Per our Purchasing Pledge, we will work to mitigate fuel waste and create demand for environmentally friendly products by purchasing local products from like-minded vendors.
We invite you to take a close look at our eco-friendly initiatives, green meetings, and look forward to welcoming you to our hotel.
You can help our sustainability efforts too!
Below are tips on how you can go green when you stay at hotel and in your everyday life.
DoubleTree Portland In-Room Sustainability Tips
- Towels - If you are ready to have your towels replaced, simply leave them on the floor. Otherwise, you can help save water and energy by hanging them up.
- Bed Linens - Place the Reuse & Reduce card on your pillow to let us know when you would like your linens changed during your stay.
- Lights - Turn your lights and TV off when you leave the room. This is a simple tip for energy savings.
- Recycling Bins - We've made it easy for you to take advantage of our recycling program by placing the bins right there in your room.
- Shampoo and Conditioner - All those little bottles you find in most hotel rooms end up in landfills. To reduce waste, we have installed refillable dispensers in some of our guestrooms to eliminate the trash and we fill them with Bee Kind, eco-friendly products, to further enhance the green factor.
- Newspapers - As part of our efforts to save paper, we deliver newspapers to rooms only upon request. Don't need a paper in the morning? You don't have to do anything.
- Getting Around Portland - Take the TriMet to get around town. Portland has one of the best public transit systems in the country and there are stops conveniently located adjacent to the hotel, making getting around town without a car a snap! Or borrow a bike! We are also one of the most bike friendly cities and our Portland hotel has bikes available for guest use.
Awards and Accolades
As part of our ongoing sustainability efforts, DoubleTree by Hilton Portland is pleased to have earned the following awards and certifications.
For our efforts and commitment to our green practices, our hotel is a proud recipient of TripAdvisor's GreenLeaders Award.
DoubleTree by Hilton, Portland was named one of the 2015 Oregon Business magazine 100 Best Green Companies To Work For In Oregon!
2007 Innovation Award
This national prize recognizes companies for innovations for reducing or offsetting climate change through new methods and processes.
Oregon Business Magazine
"100 Best Companies To Work For" Award
This statewide, employee-based award is based on workplace satisfaction.
US Environmental Protection Agency
"Commuter Choice Leadership Initiative" Transportation Award
This national program recognizes emplyers with innovative commuter benefit programs.
City of Portland
Business for an Environmentally Sustainable Tomorrow (BEST) Award
BEST Practices for Sustainability for a Large Company. These awards recognize Portland businesses for extraordinary leadership in sustainable business practices.
"Environmental CARE" Award
This award honors the DoubleTree property which best demonstrates leadership on environmental and community outreach.
State of Oregon
Governor "Exemplar" Award for Sustainability
This statewide award recognizes Oregon businesses who have made a commitment to sustainability.
Portland Oregon Visitors Association
"It's Not Easy Being Green" Award
This commendation distinguishes a local leader for their sustainability practices within the hospitality and travel industry.
City of Portland
"Blue Works Business" Certification
This program certifies Portland businesses who participate in recycling, waste reduction, and sustainable purchasing practices.